The divorce process can be complicated and there are many mistakes that you can make if you try a do-it-yourself method. Even if you are amicable with your spouse, you still can make errors that can cost you and your children in the future.
Most people are not informed enough about the law and the divorce process, which is why it is in your best interest to work with a divorce attorney. A DIY divorce may end up causing more harm and money than you intended. DIY divorces may take less time, but more problems are likely to occur.
Here are some reasons why you should NOT consider the DIY divorce method:
- You may underestimate child support and out-of-pocket expenses involved. A divorce attorney will make sure child support is set up in a way to benefit both the parents and the children.
- You may not understand all the paperwork that is involved. Divorce lawyers are educated in the legal jargon used within divorce paperwork, as well as any loopholes that may be needed to keep you out of legal trouble.
- Assuming assets are split evenly, a Jacksonville divorce attorney will fight for you to get as many assets as possible from the marriage.
- You could have an incorrect filing date, which can delay the process.
- You could have an incorrect service of process, which can also delay the process.
- If you choose the DIY divorce method, you will miss out on professional legal counsel and guidance.
- You are likely to be more stressed without assistance from a Jacksonville divorce lawyer knowing you may not be doing everything correctly.
- You may reach non-binding agreements with your spouse, meaning that in the future your spouse may not be held accountable to the agreement.
- A DIY divorce can be far more emotional because instead of having a mediator, you will have to communicate with your spouse on a regular basis.
- A divorce attorney can advocate for you without being affected by the emotions of your situation.
- You may be treated unfairly by your spouse and or his/her attorney. A Jacksonville divorce attorney will ensure you are treated justly and not taken advantage of during the process.
- Doing a divorce yourself may cost you more in the long run due to drawn-out battles or unfair settlements.
A Jacksonville divorce attorney will work with you through the entire divorce process and can even provide assistance following your divorce with numerous variables, such as getting legal documents in place regarding your home, name, etc.
Looking for a Divorce Attorney in Jacksonville?
Thinking about a divorce? It is in you and your children’s best interest for you to work with a Jacksonville divorce attorney.
At Parra Harris Law, we have over 25 years of combined experience in family law. We handle all aspects of divorce and family law litigation issues including, but not limited to: Child Support, Child Custody, Alimony, Property Division, Modification, and Enforcement.
We are more than happy to sit down with you and have a confidential family law consultation. One of our Jacksonville divorce attorneys can help guide you through the immediate issues and help you put together a plan to meet the needs of you and your family.
Whether resolving your divorce amicably through negotiation or litigation, we are prepared to fight as an advocate on your behalf to make sure that your best interests are represented.
Let our team of legal professionals at Paris Harris Law help you get started with your family law case in Jacksonville. Divorce and child custody issues can be emotional and volatile events, therefore you need a compassionate, qualified and experienced divorce attorney working for you. The Parra Harris Law attorneys will guide you through this difficult and emotional process.