Jacksonville Divorce Modifications: When a Final Decree Isn’t Final

Family Law Matters can become very stressful and intense. Many times, this stress and heightened feelings can extend past the final judgment and dissolution of marriage. In some cases, one party may decide that they will not follow the court order, and you need to contact the Parra Harris Law to help you determine a plan of action to ensure that all of the final orders of the court are followed.


Contempt is the willful violation of a court order, mandate or decree. There are two different kinds of contempt – Civil Contempt and Criminal Contempt. Civil Contempt is typically used in issues arising from family law matters. In these cases the court can use contempt to coerce a party into coming in compliance with a court order. If a party is not paying attorney’s fees or child support and the court finds that there is a willful disregard for the order the court can use means to bring the party into compliance, including incarceration.
If you are facing a contempt charge or if you are seeking help through a contempt charge, it is important to consult an experienced and qualified attorney. The attorneys at Parra Harris Law are ready to help you make the right decision to help you in your time of need.


After a court delivers a final judgment regarding an issue, the court has the ability to enforce its ruling if one of the party’s violates the order or judgment. In family law matters often a party violates an order requiring him or her to make child support or spousal support payments or comply with a final judgment in a divorce case. In order to enforce an order or judgment the Florida courts have the ability to enter a monetary judgment for vested arrearages, garnish the violator’s wages, place a lien on the violator’s property, and to suspend a violator’s professional and/or driver’s licenses.

If you are owed money for any type of support or as a part of a final judgment, and you have not been paid as directed by the court, contact the Parra Harris Law to discuss your particular situation and to develop an enforcement plan that applies to your final orders.


A final decree in a dissolution of marriage is not necessarily final. Sometimes, circumstances change after a final divorce decree, and you might need to revisit the final order and request a modification. It is common for divorces that include child support stipulations and alimony stipulations to be modified several times.

Some of the changes that might warrant modification are:

  • Child Support Modification: We can help mothers or fathers with requests to increase or decrease child support obligations.
  • Custody/Timesharing Modification: Modifications to child custody can be requested, particularly if there is neglect of child abuse. It can also be altered because of a change in circumstance or a relocation issue.
  • Visitation Modification: Changes in work schedules or issues that require a request for supervised visitations or issues involving relocation can warrant a request for visitation modification.
  • Alimony Modification: We have extensive experience in alimony/spousal support modification requests.
    Under recent changes in Florida Law, alimony can be reduced or terminated when a former spouse is living with a person as if they were married.

At Parra Harris Law, we have the experience and the track record that you can count on. We will review your case and if it is deemed appropriate we will file a Petition for Modification on your behalf to have the provisions in your old decree changed.

Request a Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.