Paternity Law: Establishing Paternity in Florida
Paternity testing can be an emotionally charged issue. Arriving at a successful outcome of a paternity case requires an experienced attorney. At Parra Harris Law we are experienced in paternity cases and we are ready to step in and assist you.
Paternity is the legal recognition of a man’s relationship to a child as a parent, between himself and the child. It is therefore extremely important to determine the father’s rights and obligations to the child. We can represent fathers and mothers in legal paternity cases. Unmarried fathers should establish paternity to claim their rights as a parent and participate in raising their child.
- Paternity testing is not just for child support cases. There are many reasons why testing for paternity is important, such as:
- Identifying a Medical Condition: If a father has a medical condition it is important that the child be aware of potential future medical issues
- Child Support: Obtaining child support you’re your minor child
- Being Released from Child Support: If you are paying child support for a child that is not your own
- Insurance: Covering a child under his father’s medical plan, or as a beneficiary of life insurance
- Estate Planning and Probate: Paternity may affect settlement of a father’s estate and probate proceedings if a will is not in effect.
- Obtaining a Visitation Schedule: You can ensure that you will be involved in the raising of your child
- Determining Child Custody: Paternity can protect your rights as a legal guarding of your children.
- Social Security and Other benefits: In certain situations a child may qualify to receive Social Security or other benefits in the event of their father’s disability or death.
Regardless of your reason for seeking a paternity case, we can help handle the situation with compassion. Please contact Parra Harris Law to set up a consultation.